Located in beautiful Mullingar or “An Muileann gCearr” as it is known in Irish, our school has a long and proud tradition of service to Mullingar town and the surrounding areas. Indeed the Presentation Sisters first came to Mullingar in 1825, almost 200 years ago and founded the present school. The school was originally a three story building and it remained so until 1937 when extensive renovations took place and the school took on a new face as a two storey building.

In 1957 Scoil na Maighdine Muire (The Presentation Senior School) opened and the then 4th – 7th standard moved to the Senior School and the Junior school retained Junior Infants to 3rd standard. A number of year’s later the 3rd standard also moved to the Senior School. Thus we have our current class system where our school has Junior Infants to 2nd class inclusive.

Aims, Spirits and Traditions

Each pupil is encouraged to obtain the maximum benefit from every aspect of his/her abilities to the full. The highest standards of behaviour and discipline are aimed at and maintained in the school based on friendly co-operation between pupils and staff. Discipline is seen and presented not only as a means of promoting good order in the school as a whole, but also as a means of providing opportunities for self control for each individual student.


On the 29th of October at 5 pm the Presentation Nuns formally came to Mullingar. Miss Ellen Martin opened classes in the first floor of the Convent.


In February of this year the Nuns took over the school.


A permanent school was built adjoining the convent.


In 1843 the famous parliamentarian Daniel O’Connell had breakfast in the School after he had assisted at Mass and received Holy Communion in the Convent Chapel upon the occasion of his famous “Monster Meeting” where he called for the repeal of the Union.


On 10th of September a number of Nuns from the convent began a journey to Madras in India.


The foundation stone of the new Chapel was laid by Dr Nulty.


On Holy Thursday 1883 the new Chapel was opened and blessed.


Additional building at the front of the Convent commenced.


The Sisters moved into the new Convent just after Easter.


Electric light was first installed in the Convent and the Junior School.


The School buildings underwent a programme of reconstruction and renovation.


During 1957 the Senior School, Scoil na Maighdine Muire opened.


The number of students in the combined schools was 1,095


The Bi-centenary of the Presentation order was celebrated. The Presentation Sisters were 150 years in Mullingar.

2000 – 175th Anniversary Presentation Order

2000 On the 21st of November a special mass was held to celebrate the 175th anniversary of the arrival of the Presentation order in Mullingar.


On the 10th of January 2000 Mrs Valerie Moore commenced duty as the first lay Principal of the School since its foundation in 1825.

2007 Green Flag

In February 2007 our school was awarded the Green Flag!


Mrs Bernie Beddows commenced duty as Principal of the school, another exciting era in our history begins.


Miss Natasha Miskell commenced as Principal of the school and again another piece of history is in the making...

We also said Slán to Dympna Nally ,our secretary of forty four years.


In 2025 the Presentation school will be in Mullingar 200 years. The students in our school now will have gone to college
and started their careers............

Like the many thousands before them. We are excited to see where our school journey
will take us!!!!